Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In astronomy, geology, and paleontology, mya or "m.y.a." is an acronym for million years ago. This abbreviation is commonly used as a unit of time to denote length of time before the present or "B.P." (before AD 1950). Specifically, one mya is equal to 106 years ago. The popular term 'mya' is replaced in scientific literature with Ma (megaannum).
Events around 1 mya:
Astronomical deep time:
- The light we see now from the Andromeda Galaxy started 2.5 mya
- The light we (do not) see now from the centre of the Milky Way started 0.026 mya
- Pliocene 5.3 to 1.8 mya
- Holocene started 0.01 mya
- Homo erectus existed from 1.8 to 0.07 mya
- Homo sapiens separated from Neanderthal lineage 0.6 mya